Hannah M Reply to on 26 June 2011
|Rihanna's third album marks a change of style for the singer. Her first two albums had been well-recieved, with huge singles like 'S.O.S' and 'Pon De Replay' and reggae-influenced fillers, but it was this album that catapulted Rihanna from pop-star to superstar. It's sleaker and more polished than the previous two albums, with production by big names like Timbaland and Ne-Yo, and the songs are perfectly crafted pop-hits suited to Rihanna's vocal style.
01. Umbrella - ft Jay-Z. - The first and biggest single from the album, and quickly became Rihanna's signature song. It stayed at #1 for weeks and is Rihanna's biggest single to date. With a rap-intro by Jay-Z and a catchy chorus it kicks off the album with a bang.
02. Push Up On Me - An electronica inspired beat sampling a Lionel Richie song, a fast, club-hit song.
03. Don't Stop The Music - Another huge hit, sampling Michael Jackson's 'Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' chant. A great dance beat and sing-along chorus make it one of the most memorable songs on the album.
04. Breakin Dishes - A angry female-empowerment song with lyrics like 'I'm breakin' dishes over here all night, I ain't gon' stop til I see police lights' over a punchy, rock-tinged track.
05. Shut Up and Drive - A pop/rock song that samples New Order, a top #5 hit for Rihanna.
06. Hate That I Love You - ft Ne-Yo - A slick, RnB duet with singer Ne-Yo. One of the standout tracks on the album.
07. Say It - Midtempo old-school feel pop song in the style of Aaliyah or Ashanti - wouldn't sound out of place on one of her first two albums.
08. Sell Me Candy - Timbaland produced song, has a nice summer feel and good beat.
09. Lemme Get That - The second song on the album produced by Timbaland, with an eastern-influenced beat over a dancehall beat.
10. Rehab - A real standout track, an RnB beat with rock-tinged guitars and backing vocals by superstar Justin Timberlake.
11. Question Existing - Electronica trance-style track with Rihanna's vocals treated to give it a robotic-feeling.
12. Good Girl Gone Bad - Another RnB flavour song with a good chorus.
14. Disturbia - A dark but energetic pop-song and one of Rihanna's best vocals. A huge hit in 2008.
15. Take A Bow - A slow RnB ballad, another #1 single.
16. If I Never See Your Face Again - ft Maroon 5 - A rock/pop/electronica duet that was a sleeper hit. A very good but overlooked track.
A half-hour dvd that gives a behind the scenes glimpse of Rihanna's Good Girl Gone Bad World Tour, featuring four full length performances of 'Umbrella', 'Breakin Dishes', 'Hate That I Love You' and 'Push Up On Me'.
Some won't like the departure from the frothy-pop of Rihanna's first two albums, but this album showcases Rihanna at her most-creative and lets her display a variety of styles that will fit most people's tastes.
A really good buy.